Cleburne State Park is located on Park Road 21 just south of U.S. Highway 67 and twelve miles southwest of Cleburne in southwestern Johnson County. The park originated in 1934 when a group of Cleburne businessmen purchased a few hundred acres of land at the present site and turned it over to the State Parks Board with the understanding that a park would be developed according to the arrangements that existed between the Civilian Conservation Corps and the National Park Service. The land had been the home of Comanche raiding parties during the Civil War. From 1935 to 1940 the CCC constructed a dam, a water tower, a shelter, a residence for the park superintendent that still stands, and nature trails. In the park are deer, quail, and raccoons. The park covers 529 acres and has an artificial lake with a surface area of 116 acres. Fishing is available from a covered pier. Fish species include bass, catfish, crappie, bluegill, and sunfish. Because of its proximity to Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington, Cleburne State Park has become a popular camping spot.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
Ray Miller, Texas Parks (Houston: Cordovan, 1984). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
David Minor, “Cleburne State Park,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 27, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cleburne-state-park.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.