Clegg was on State Highway 59 sixteen miles southwest of George West in southwestern Live Oak County. It was named for George Clegg, a local rancher. A post office opened in 1913, about the same time as a Baptist congregation was organized. By the 1930s the town had a school, a store, three businesses, and a cotton gin. In 1940 the Baptists moved a church to the site. By 1950, however, the town had almost disappeared. Clegg's school was closed in 1948, and in 1949 only one business and twenty-five people were reported in the town. In 1958 the Clegg Baptist Church disbanded because of its shrinking congregation, and by the early 1980s only the town's old cemetery remained at the site. By 2000, however, the population had grown to 125.