Cline, Henry B. (1828–ca. 1900)


By: Carolyn Hyman

Type: Biography

Published: 1952

Updated: July 24, 2016


Henry B. Cline, Houston attorney and school official, the son of Daniel Cline and a woman whose maiden name was Yeats, was born in Adams County, Pennsylvania, on September 19, 1828. He was raised a Lutheran and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania with bachelor of laws and doctor of divinity degrees. He subsequently preached in various Protestant churches. He moved to New Orleans in the late 1840s and opened a boys' college that failed. He was admitted to the bar in New Orleans on November 9, 1853, and, according to one source, later edited the Louisiana Statutes. Cline moved to Texas in January 1861, married a teacher of the deaf and dumb at Woodville, and served for a time as justice of the peace in Tyler County. From 1867 until his death he lived in Houston, where he practiced law, mainly in abstracts and titles. Cline served as a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1875 and in 1876 was on a committee to establish a public school system in Houston. Later he became supervisor and inspector of the Houston public schools. He was nominated for governor by the Lily-White Movement in 1896. After breaking his leg in a fall from a horse he died, at the age of seventy-two.

H. L. Bentley and Thomas Pilgrim, Texas Legal Directory for 1876–77 (Austin: Democratic Statesman Office, 1877). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.

Categories:
  • Education
  • School Principals and Superintendents
  • Law, Law Enforcement, and Outlaws
  • Lawyers
  • General Law
  • Land Law and Real Estate Law
Time Periods:
  • Late Nineteenth-Century Texas
Places:
  • Houston
  • Upper Gulf Coast
  • East Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Carolyn Hyman, “Cline, Henry B.,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cline-henry-b.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
July 24, 2016

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: