Clipper, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Clipper was three miles southwest of the site of present Jayton in east central Kent County. It had a gin, two stores, a drugstore, and a school in the 1890s. A post office was established in 1899 with John M. Kelly as postmaster. The first fraternal organization established in the county, a chapter of the Woodmen of the World, was founded in Clipper about 1896. The community flourished until Jayton was established on the Stamford and Northwestern Railway in 1907. The Clipper mail was rerouted through Jayton in February of that year, and Clipper was soon abandoned.

Jewell G. Pritchett and Erma B. Black, Kent County and Its People (Rotan, Texas: Rotan Advance, 1983).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Clipper, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/clipper-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Clipper
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Kent County
Associated Names

Duck

Hagan's Mill

Jayton