Albert Gallatin Clopton, doctor, soldier, and politician, was born near Eaton, Georgia, in 1828, the son of Alfred and Sallie (Kendricks) Clopton. He served in the Mexican War, studied law for a year, then abandoned law for medicine and graduated from the University of Louisiana in 1851. He moved to Camden, Arkansas, but shortly thereafter traveled to Texas and served for a time in the force of Texas Rangers under Shapley P. Ross. Clopton subsequently went back to Camden to practice medicine but returned to Texas in 1854 and settled at Douglassville, where he married Annie Matilda Henderson; they adopted two children. Clopton remained at Douglassville for six years working as a doctor and a farmer before moving to Jefferson just before the Civil War. In 1860 he owned a 245-acre farm and six slaves and raised twenty-two bales of cotton. He was a member of the Secession Convention in 1861. He served as captain of Company D, First Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade, and acted as major of the regiment at the battle of Eltham's Landing in 1862. Soon afterward he transferred to the medical department. Clopton returned to Jefferson after the war. In April 1874 he was elected president of the Texas State Medical Association (see TEXAS MEDICAL ASSOCIATION). He was the first professor of physiology in the Medical Branch of the University of Texas at Galveston. He was a Methodist and was active in Confederate veterans' affairs. He died at Texarkana on June 21, 1916; his wife died the following day. Their double funeral was conducted at Jefferson, and Clopton is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, Jefferson.