Clopton, TX

By: Laurie E. Jasinski

Type: General Entry

Published: October 11, 2004


Font size: A / A reset

Clopton (also known as Clopton Road) is a tiny rural community located on Farm Road 3357 about twelve miles south of Mount Vernon in southern Franklin County. Probably named for pioneer doctor and politician Albert Gallatin Clopton, the settlement probably began by the early 1900s, and in 1915 a school there served a scholastic population of 57. In the 1930s county maps showed a church and farms in the area. The population declined to a reported fifteen residents in 1980. That figure remained constant in 2000.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Laurie E. Jasinski, “Clopton, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/clopton-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

October 11, 2004

Loading