Codman was on the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway eight miles southwest of Miami in southern Roberts County. When the county was organized in 1889 the community was an election precinct with three legal voters, yet thirty-eight local votes were polled in the election of county officials. Local legend relates that during the legal battle between Miami and Parnell for the position of county seat, a patriotic Codman citizen named Buzzy sent his forty-two sons to vote. A post office was established at Codman in December 1892, discontinued in November 1893, reopened in July 1901, and closed a final time in May 1902. Codman reported a store, two grain elevators, and a population of twenty-five in 1947. Faster local transportation and U.S. Highway 60 later further diminished the community. A 1983 county highway map showed Codman as only a station on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway.