Aaron Coffee, Brazoria County planter, was born in Brandon, Mississippi, in December 1832, to Thomas J. and Malinda G. Coffee. The Coffee family relocated to Oyster Creek, Brazoria County, Texas, in 1846. He married Mary Somerville on March 28, 1860. He personally owned twenty-five slaves, and the plantation he managed, Halcyon, had 132. In 1860 he owned real property valued at $100,000 and personal property valued at $167,350. On April 15, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company B of the Thirteenth Texas Infantry and was sent to Brazoria County to make sabres for his company. He was discharged on February 10, 1863, after furnishing a substitute named Benjamin Hughes. Coffee applied for an official pardon for his Confederate military service on November 18, 1865, and applied to vote in Brazoria County on August 15, 1867. He joined the Texas Farmers' Congress and was a regular contributor of farming information to newspapers and magazines under the pseudonym "Old Cotton Planter." Coffee died on February 28, 1912, in McKinney and is buried in Pecan Grove Cemetery in Collin County.