Colegio Altamirano, at Hebbronville, was founded by settlers of Spanish ancestry who wanted their children to learn Spanish culture. Dionicio Peña, Francisco Barrera Guerra, Tomás Barrera, José Ángel Garza, and Ascención Martínez founded the school in 1897. Students, many of whom went on to graduate from Hebbronville public schools, learned art, music, discipline, social graces, and the three Rs. Fiestas were held at the end of each term. The school operated until 1958.