Coley Creek, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Coley Creek is east of Farm Road 223 sixty miles north of Houston in southeastern San Jacinto County. Early Anglo settlers of the area included the Emory Lovin and Rufus Hughes families. Residents of the agricultural community depended upon nearby Shepherd for stores and a post office. Numerous tram railroad lines in the area indicate former involvement in logging operations. Although the lines have been abandoned, the growth of Shepherd has in recent years sparked new development in the surrounding countryside.

Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Coley Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/coley-creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Coley Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381682
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Jacinto County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.47937130°
  • Longitude: -94.93770990°