Colita Academy


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Colita Academy was in Louisiana Settlement, at the site of present Colita in Polk County. The school was founded about 1870 and had a two-story pine building. It was officially nonsectarian, although Baptists were its chief supporters. Principals of the Colita institution included J. M. Pearson, Helen Lawson, a Professor Thomas, Rev. Kit Williams, Thornton Walker, and a Reverend Weymouth. Pupils ranged from seven to twenty-three years of age. Faced with competition from a growing public school system, Colita Academy was closed in 1894.

Aline T. Rothe, History of Education in Polk County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1934). Carl Bassett Wilson, History of Baptist Educational Efforts in Texas, 1829–1900 (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1934).
Categories:
  • Education
  • Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Colita Academy,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/colita-academy.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994