College Hill Institute


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


College Hill Institute, at Springtown in the northeast corner of Parker County, was chartered by the state of Texas in 1884. It operated for ten years under the guidance of president John W. McCracken and vice president D. P. Hurley. Springtown was also the home of the Springtown Male and Female Institute, and the community became known as the "educational center for northwest Texas." In 1894 the school closed.

Dallas Morning News, May 21, 1939, June 1, 1941. Weatherford Democrat, August 11, 1939.
Categories:
  • Education
  • Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “College Hill Institute,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/college-hill-institute.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994