Colony Hill, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Colony Hill was on Farm Road 1750 near the site of the present Abilene Municipal Airport in northeastern Taylor County. Colony Hill school, named for a colony of Germans that had recently settled in the area, was started in 1878. In the early years of the settlement church services were held in the school building, until a Baptist Church was erected in 1898. In 1902 Colony Hill school served two teachers and eighty-one pupils. In 1921 the old plank school burned down and was replaced by a new brick building. The church and school were both gone by the 1940s, and by the 1980s the community site lay within the Abilene city limits.

Juanita Daniel Zachry, A History of Rural Taylor County (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Colony Hill, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/colony-hill-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Colony Hill
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Taylor County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.37984960°
  • Longitude: -99.70730880°