Colorado River Western Railroad


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


The Colorado River Western Railroad Company was chartered on February 11, 1955, to build from Altair in Colorado County northwest to a terminus two miles south of Alleyton, a distance of about nine miles. The initial capital was $41,000, and the business office was in Alleyton. The railroad was controlled by Texas Construction Materials Company. Members of the first board of directors included C. L. Griffith, C. B. Sheffield, Morris Hodges, Frank C. Brooks, Mrs. C. E. O'Meara, J. M. Carley, E. P. Gemmer, and Charles B. Whiter. Ten miles of main line and sidings were constructed and in operation from Altair to Helm. In 1958 the railroad became the property of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad Company.

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Colorado River Western Railroad,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/colorado-river-western-railroad.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994