Coltexo, an oil camp on Farm Road 1474 three miles northeast of Lefors in north central Gray County, was established in the late 1920s. The camp was named for the Col-Tex Refinery Company, which erected a carbon black plant (see CARBON BLACK INDUSTRY) on a spur of the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway. Earl and Thelma Butterick operated a store there, and local mail came through Lefors. After the improvement of transportation in the area, many of the plant's employees moved to Lefors. The Coltexo community declined when carbon black lost its importance in the petroleum industry. In 1990 the population of Coltexo was recorded as five.