Columbia College


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Columbia College, at Van Alstyne in Grayson County, operated for just under a decade. As North Texas began to grow in the late nineteenth century a number of communities supported college-level institutions. Residents of Van Alstyne joined in 1889 to establish Columbia College. The school building had eight large rooms, among them a chapel with a stage. By 1894 the enrollment was 578. In the late 1890s a fire destroyed the school. Attempts to refinance failed, and the school never reopened.

Mattie D. Lucas and Mita H. Hall, A History of Grayson County (Sherman, Texas, 1936).
Categories:
  • Education
  • Defunct Colleges and Universities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Columbia College,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/columbia-college.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994