Concord, TX (Houston County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Concord was off State Highway 7 eight miles east of Crockett in east central Houston County. It was established after the Civil War. A Presbyterian church was founded there in 1875, and around the same time a school began operating in the church; later a separate school building was constructed. In 1897 the school had an enrollment of forty-six. During the mid-1930s the small community had a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II many local residents moved away, and by 1990 only a church and a few widely scattered houses remained in the area.

Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Concord, TX (Houston County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/concord-tx-houston-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Loading