Concord, TX (Wood County)

By: Rachel Jenkins

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994

Updated: October 20, 2020

Concord is on Farm Road 778 two miles northwest of Hainesville and 5½ miles southeast of Quitman in south central Wood County. It was probably settled in the 1870s and by the early 1880s had a one-teacher school known as the Concord Academy. By 1891 the area had a church, called Hubbard's Chapel Baptist Church, after settler Hubbard Moseley (or Mosley), who donated land to the church. In 1896 seventy-six White and thirty-eight Black students were taught by two teachers in one-room schools. In 1932 seventy-seven White students attended classes in nine grades taught by three teachers, and forty-five Black students attended classes in seven grades taught by one teacher. A few years later Concord's schools closed, and the community had only a church and a number of scattered dwellings. In 1960 a single dwelling and the church remained at the site, but by the late 1970s several more dwellings were in the vicinity.

Adele W. Vickery and Ida Marie Turner, comps., Cemeteries of Wood County (3 vols., Mineola, Texas, 1970–71). Wood County, 1850–1900 (Quitman, Texas: Wood County Historical Society, 1976).


  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Rachel Jenkins, “Concord, TX (Wood County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 20, 2022,

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994
October 20, 2020