Cone is on U.S. Highway 62 thirty-four miles northeast of Lubbock in Crosby County. The community was established in 1901 and named for early settler James Stanton Cone. A post office opened there around 1903. "Uncle" Charlie Travis donated land for a school, and on February 14, 1905, the Cone school district was founded. After 1939, when Cone had an estimated 150 residents, the town decreased in population; in 1965 the Cone school district was consolidated with the schools of Ralls. In 1988 the community had the post office, three businesses, and fewer than fifty residents. In 2000 the population was seventy.