Charles Ulrich Connellee, surveyor and state legislator, son of Sadosa T. and Lucy A. (Woods) Connellee, was born on August 21, 1851, in Scott County, Kentucky. After studying in the agricultural and mechanical department of the University of Lexington, he taught school in Scott County. In 1874 he was elected county surveyor, but in October of the same year he moved to Texas, where he established a real estate business in Dallas. In January 1875 he bought and staked out a public square on 320 acres centrally located in Eastland County. The tract had originally been surveyed by C. S. Betts. In May, Connellee and two partners, Jack S. Dougherty and J. B. Ammerman, surveyed the town of Eastland and were influential in getting the new community made county seat. During the early 1880s Connellee was a leader in efforts to eradicate Texas fever and improve cattle breeds for the area ranches. In 1887 he was elected as representative from the Forty-second District in the Twenty-first and Twenty-second legislatures. In 1911 he was a member of the board that located and established the state tuberculosis colony. He served as a regent of the College of Industrial Arts (now Texas Woman's University) from 1925 until his death. Connellee married Mattie E. Payne on April 22, 1875. They had four children. After her death he married Lulu Ostrom, on September 1, 1888. On June 14, 1894, he married Tully Hardeman. On March 15, 1924, he married Mrs. Bula B. Whittington. Connellee died in Fort Worth on December 2, 1930, and was buried in Eastland.