Connor, TX


By: Ellen C. Short

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Connor, on Farm Road 1428 eight miles east of Madisonville in Madison County, was established in the mid-1800s. Rufus M. Connor and James S. Connor were postmasters at the local post office, which operated from 1890 until 1905. The general store was also run by Jim Connor. The population of Connor was 101 in 1900. The area raised livestock and fruits, vegetables, and cotton. Several general stores, a blacksmith shop, a cotton gin, and a gristmill operated at the time. A two-room Black Oak School was established in 1880; one room was for the boys, and the other was for the girls. A single teacher sat between the rooms and taught arithmetic, English, history, and spelling. David Green donated land for South Bethel School and a Methodist church. Several other churches including a Baptist church and a Church of Christ were built in the community. The population was fifty in the 1930s, when Connor had a school and scattered dwellings. In 1989 a general store was in operation at the site. In 2000 the population was twenty.

Madison County Historical Commission, A History of Madison County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Ellen C. Short, “Connor, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/connor-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Connor
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379586
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Madison County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.96491070°
  • Longitude: -95.81272690°
Population Counts
People Year
20 2014