Content, TX (Colorado County)


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Content is four miles south of Weimar near the junction of Farm roads 155 and 2144 in the northwestern corner of Colorado County. The site was probably settled during the Civil War, and in 1865 a post office named Content was opened there. A school, organized in the community by the 1870s, served thirty-two students in 1879. The Content post office closed in 1880, and residents received their mail from nearby Weimar. In 1904 the one-teacher Content school served fifty-six pupils. In 1940 the community comprised the school and scattered dwellings. At various times Content also had stores and a cotton gin. By the 1950s the Content school had consolidated with that of Weimar. A German community named New Bielau was contiguous with Content; the two settlements shared churches and a school board. In the 1980s both communities were served by the New Bielau community center and the Trinity Evangelical Church.

Colorado County Historical Commission, Colorado County Chronicles from the Beginning to 1923 (2 vols., Austin: Nortex, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Content, TX (Colorado County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/content-tx-colorado-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Content
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Colorado County
Associated Names

New Bielau

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.63829110°
  • Longitude: -96.77247730°