Copenhagen, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Copenhagen was in the area of the present Center Plains cemetery on Farm Road 179, nine miles west of Hale Center in west central Hale County. It was formed around 1900. When its post office was opened in 1902 the post office department substituted the name Copenhagen for the settlement's original name, Center Plains. Although Copenhagen never developed into a town, its post office served the surrounding area until 1907, when the promise of a railroad led residents to move to the newly founded town of Norfleet nearby.

Mary L. Cox, History of Hale County, Texas (Plainview, Texas, 1937).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Copenhagen, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/copenhagen-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Copenhagen
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1354199b
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hale County
Associated Names

Center Plains

Lakeview

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 34.05091370°
  • Longitude: -101.99351100°