Copper Breaks State Park, on the Pease River and State Highway 6 twelve miles south of Quanah in Hardeman County, was established in 1970. From its original 1,889 acres, this scenic area has been expanded to nearly 1,933 acres featuring rugged canyons and a seventy-acre lake made by an earthen dam. "Breaks" refers to the fractures and faults that define the limited waterways of the park. Small amounts of copper, insufficient for commercial purposes, can be found in the area clay. Facilities for picnicking, camping, swimming, boating, fishing, hiking, and horseback riding are provided. A small historical museum exhibit is available, and a portion of the official Texas longhorn herd is maintained in the park, which is located near the historic Medicine Mounds and the site of Cynthia Ann Parker's recapture in December 1860.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
H. Allen Anderson, “Copper Breaks State Park,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 01, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/copper-breaks-state-park.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.