Cornersville is on State Highway 11 and the Louisiana and Arkansas Railway some eighteen miles southeast of Sulphur Springs in southeastern Hopkins County. It was named for its location near the corners of Hopkins and Franklin counties. Dr. J. P. Anderson operated a store and practiced medicine in the community in 1869. The population was composed chiefly of workers in a pottery. A post office called Grotton opened in 1901, with Eugenia A. Payne as postmaster, and operated until 1905. A school named Cornersville was operating by 1905, when it had an enrollment of 105. In the mid-1930s Cornersville had two churches, a cemetery, a business, and a number of scattered dwellings. By 1948 the business had closed, but an oil refinery had been erected a quarter mile east of the center of town on the Louisiana and Arkansas Railway. In the late 1980s the community had two churches, two cemeteries, and a business. It was still listed as a community in 1990.