The Corpus Christi Caller-Times began with the consolidation in 1929 of two newspapers, the Caller and Daily Herald, started as the Caller in 1883, and the Times, founded in 1917. Newspapermen Eli Merriman, Ed Williams, and W. P. Caruthers had established the Caller, which was named after the San Francisco Call. In 1910 the Caller merged with another local paper, the Herald, and became the Corpus Christi Caller and Daily Herald. One of the Caller's original stockholders was King Ranch founder Richard King, and the King Ranch maintained its interest in the paper until the 1920s.
W. E. Pope, a state legislator, purchased the Corpus Christi Daily Democrat in 1917, renamed it the Times, and sold it in 1928 to Houston Harte of San Angelo and Bernard Hanks of Abilene, founders of Harte-Hanks Communications. The next year Harte-Hanks bought the Caller from the King Ranch, and the two papers were combined as the Corpus Christi Caller-Times. The paper has outlasted more than two dozen newspapers published in the city since the first two, the Corpus Christi Gazette and the Star, were published in the 1840s.
When the newspaper observed its 100th birthday on January 23, 1983, it gave the city a bayfront monument, Wind in the Sails, by sculptor Kent Ullberg. In the mid-1980s the Caller-Times had a combined daily circulation of 82,800, with 69,050 on Saturdays and 91,400 on Sundays. The Caller appeared in the morning, the Times in the afternoon, and the Caller-Times on Saturdays and Sundays. In May 1987 the Caller-Times switched to producing morning editions only and in 1994 had a weekly circulation of 72,604 and a Sunday circulation of 104,245. The newspaper launched an internet edition in 1995, and in 1997 the Scripps-Howard group assumed ownership from Harte-Hanks. In 1999 the Caller-Times won fifty national, state, and regional awards. It had a daily circulation of 66,000 and a Sunday circulation of 88,000.