There were two newspapers known as the Corpus Christi Gazette during the nineteenth century. The first was announced in a prospectus published in the Austin Texas Democrat in November 1845. The first issue appeared on January 1, 1846, with Samuel Bangs and George Fletcher as publishers and the chief justice of Nueces County, José de Alba, as editor. The paper ceased publication on April 2, 1846. Though no more than half the run exists in archives, the Gazette is significant as a source of information about the Corpus Christi of its day. The sixth issue, for example, contains a detailed list of the officers at Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and St. Joseph Island in February 1846.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Frank Wagner, “Corpus Christi Gazette [#1],” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 05, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/corpus-christi-gazette-1.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.