Corsicana Female Literary Institute, in Corsicana, was established in 1857 and first housed in the Navarro County Courthouse. The school moved from the courthouse when a new two-story, cedar-log building called "the academy" was constructed. The lower part of the building was used for education during the week and for church on Sundays. The upper floor was used by the Masonic lodge. Tuition in 1860 was $10 per session for junior classes, $12.50 for middle classes, and $15 for senior classes. Latin or French cost five dollars more, and music with instruments was twenty-five dollars extra. The charge for room and board was between eight and ten dollars per session. Around 1870 the school's stockholders sold the property to the Masons.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Defunct Elementary and Secondary Schools
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Julie G. Miller, “Corsicana Female Literary Institute,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 17, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/corsicana-female-literary-institute.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.