Cotland, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cotland was a post office in west central Newton County. It was started in 1850, presumably near the plantation of Thomas Stuart McFarland, who sold his San Augustine County home (also called Cotland) to Jacob Garrett in 1838 and moved to what was to become Newton County. After first settling at Belgrade, he relocated near the site of Bleakwood. The Cotland post office served Newton County residents until 1860. Bleakwood was granted a post office seven years later.

Newton County Historical Commission, Crosscuts: An Anthology of Memoirs of Newton County Folk (Austin: Eakin, 1984).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Cotland, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cotland-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Cotland
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Newton County
Associated Names

Bleakwood