Cotton Patch, TX

By: Laurie E. Jasinski

Type: General Entry

Published: July 7, 2004


Font size: A / A reset

The rural settlement of Cotton Patch is located near the junction of Farm roads 2656 and 952 about twenty-one miles west of Cuero in western DeWitt County. Several families, including the Schmidts, Gruetzmachers, Dworaxzyks, and Meinens, farmed the area around the beginning of the twentieth century. Landowner Henry Buesing donated property for a one-room school that was built in 1914. The Buesing School was shown on county highway maps in 1936, and the facility operated until 1950. By the 1960s maps depicted the village of Cotton Patch at the location of the school. The area consisted of scattered homes and reported a population of eleven in 2000.

DeWitt County Historical Commission, The History of DeWitt County, Texas (Dallas: Curtis Media Corporation, 1991). Nellie Murphree, A History of DeWitt County (Victoria, Texas, 1962).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Laurie E. Jasinski, “Cotton Patch, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 17, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cotton-patch-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 7, 2004

Loading