Cowl Spur, TX

By: Rebecca L. Borjas

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cowl Spur was on Farm Road 2854 and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe, six miles west of Conroe in west central Montgomery County. The town was named after a spur and siding on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe. During the early 1930s the Day Lumber and Timber Company had a timber mill there. In 1938 Day Lumber sold out to Daniel's Lumber Company and Retail Lumber and Building Materials. They changed the name to the People's Lumber and Building Materials Company soon after. In the 1940s the town had thirty dwellings and three businesses, including a sawmill and a railroad station. From 1940 to 1965 the population of Cowl Spur was reported at fifty. By 1965 the area had become part of the Conroe Independent School District.

Montgomery County Genealogical Society, Montgomery County History (Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter, 1981).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Rebecca L. Borjas, “Cowl Spur, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed December 01, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cowl-spur-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Loading