Cox, a farming community on Farm Road 2796 eleven miles northeast of Gilmer in northeastern Upshur County, was established around 1890 and named for a family of local settlers. A school was in operation there around 1900, and during the 1906–07 school year it had an enrollment of sixty-seven. In the mid-1930s the community had a sawmill, a school, and a number of scattered houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, and its school was consolidated with the La Fayette school district. By the mid-1960s all that remained of Cox was a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. Its population was estimated at 300. Many of the community's residents worked at the nearby Lone Star Steel Plant. In 1990 Cox had a church and one store. In 2000 the population was thirty.