Crabb's Prairie, TX


By: James L. Hailey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Crabb's Prairie, near the junction of State Highway 75 and Farm Road 1696 and some seven miles northwest of Huntsville in central Walker County, was named for Hillary M. Crabb, who served as a county judge and Texas legislator. Crabb settled during the early 1830s on land now in Walker County; he received title to 4,000 acres on February 11, 1835. After Texas won its independence, newly arriving settlers congregated around Crabb's homestead. Crabb's Prairie was connected to Huntsville by a road built in 1846 and was on the stage route that linked Huntsville and Navasota. In 1901 the Cook Springs Baptist Church was built in the area and a school was established near the Alexander homestead. The Crabb's Prairie school offered seven grades in 1911. In 1936 the community had three businesses, two schools, and a church, surrounded by numerous farm dwellings. In the 1980s Crabb's Prairie was served by one business and the nearby Baptist church; local students attended school in Huntsville.

D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976). Walker County Genealogical Society and Walker County Historical Commission, Walker County (Dallas, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

James L. Hailey, “Crabb's Prairie, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/crabbs-prairie-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Crabbs Prairie
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1380834
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Walker County
Associated Names

Crabb's-

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.75408160°
  • Longitude: -95.64911230°
Population Counts
People Year
240 2009