Crecy, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Crecy, on Farm Road 233 eleven miles northeast of Groveton in northeastern Trinity County, was settled after the Civil War by the Terry family. A post office was established there in 1899, and in 1900 Crecy had two general stores and a population of twenty-five. The community began to decline during the 1930s. Its post office closed in 1936, and after World War II many of its residents moved away. In 1990 only a store and a few scattered houses remained in the area. In 2000 the population was fifteen.

Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Crecy, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/crecy-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Crecy
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381714
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Trinity County
Associated Names

Deaton

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.20129510°
  • Longitude: -95.05521310°
Population Counts
People Year
15 2014