Creek, TX


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Creek, on Farm Road 1280 fifteen miles southwest of Crockett in southwestern Houston County, was established after the Civil War and named for its location on Big Creek. A school began operating there around 1885, and a post office opened in 1888. By the early 1890s the settlement had an estimated population of 150 and several gristmills and gins, as well as a blacksmith, sawmill, chair factory, and general store. The town began to decline in the 1920s, and by the mid-1930s only a church, a cemetery, and a few houses remained. In the early 1990s Creek was a dispersed rural community with a church and cemetery.

Armistead Albert Aldrich, The History of Houston County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1943). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Creek, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/creek-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Creek
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1355340
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Houston County
Associated Names

Austonio

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.16712720°
  • Longitude: -95.61161470°