Crisp, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Crisp is on Farm Road 660 ten miles east of Waxahachie in east central Ellis County. It was named for Charles F. Crisp, a speaker of the United States House of Representatives. The community was settled in the late 1880s or early 1890s, and a post office opened there in 1892. Crisp's population was not reported as more than 100 until the mid-1920s, when it was estimated at 120; it was reported at that level through the mid-1960s. In the late 1960s, however, the number of residents began to decline, and had fallen to ninety by 1968. Crisp's population was still reported as ninety in 1990.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Crisp, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/crisp-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Crisp
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378180
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Ellis County
Associated Names

Hines

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.39791980°
  • Longitude: -96.58110050°
Population Counts
People Year
115 2009