George Louis Crocket, minister and historian, was born on June 3, 1861, at San Augustine, Texas, the son of George L. and Louisa Alexander (Sharp) Crocket. He received degrees of B.Litt. and B.D. from the University of the South and the Theological Seminary, Sewanee, Tennessee, in 1886. He was ordained a deacon of the Protestant Episcopal Church in 1886 and served as rector of Christ Church, San Augustine, Texas, from 1887 to 1929. Crocket founded Christ Church, Nacogdoches, and St. Cyprian's Church, Lufkin. After retiring from the active ministry in 1929, he was professor of history emeritus and dean of students at Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College, Nacogdoches (now Stephen F. Austin State University). Crocket's pursuit of historical studies was a lifelong avocation. In 1932 he published Two Centuries in East Texas, the chief product of his labors in Texas history. His ink sketches of early Texas educational institutions are preserved in the Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin. His original maps and charts, along with his collection of other historical materials, were bequeathed to the college at Nacogdoches. At the time of his death on January 3, 1936, Crocket was president of the East Texas Historical Society.