Cross Roads, TX (Upshur County)

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Cross Roads (Crossroads), eight miles southwest of Gilmer on the old Gilmer-Big Sandy highway in southwestern Upshur County, was probably established around 1900. In the mid-1930s it had a church, a school, and a number of houses. After World War II many of its residents moved away, and the school was consolidated with the Big Sandy school district. By the mid-1960s all that remained of the community was a few scattered houses, among them the Gage House, one of the oldest houses in the county. Nearby was the Lone Pilgrim Primitive Baptist Church.

Doyal T. Loyd, History of Upshur County (Waco: Texian Press, 1987).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Cross Roads, TX (Upshur County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 28, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cross-roads-tx-upshur-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Loading