Crossett, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Crossett, seven miles northwest of McCamey in southwest Upton County, was established on October 10, 1925, by Mrs. Minnie Crossett, barely two weeks before major oil discoveries brought on a regional oil boom. For a brief time in the late 1920s the community had a post office (granted in 1926), three hotels, a barbershop, several cafes and beer halls, a nightclub, and a number of homes. Although the Crossett post office was discontinued in 1928, in 1929 the settlement's population was reported as 200. By the 1930s, however, competition from nearby McCamey caused the community to decline. It reported only two businesses and fifty people during the 1930s and 1940s. County maps in the 1980s gave no indication of the town other than the location of the Crossett oilfield south of U.S. Highway 385.

Nancy Ethie Eagleton, On the Last Frontier: A History of Upton County, Texas (El Paso: Texas Western Press, 1971). John Leeds Kerr and Frank Donovan, Destination Topolobampo: The Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railway (San Marino, California: Golden West, 1968).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Crossett, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/crossett-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Crossett
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Upton County