The Crystal City and Uvalde Railroad Company was chartered on April 19, 1909, to connect the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway near Uvalde with Crystal City, a distance of forty-one miles. The capital stock was $50,000. The principal place of business was Crystal City. The members of the first board of directors were A. R. Ponder of Missouri; A. R. Byrd, Sr., and E. J. Buckingham, both of San Antonio; E. R. Byrd and William J. Byrd, Jr., both of Dimmit County; and J. A. Weir and Carl F. Groos, both of Uvalde. Buckingham planned the railroad to reach his land in Zavala County to ship his produce. Area landowners gave a bonus of $345,000. By December 1909 the railroad had completed forty-one miles from Uvalde Junction to Crystal City. The following year two lines were built from Crystal City, one of twelve miles to Carrizo Springs and a forty-two-mile line to Gardendale. In 1911 twenty-six miles was opened from Gardendale to Fowlerton. On April 4, 1912, the railroad was renamed San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad Company.