Cuevitas, TX (Hidalgo County)


By: Alicia A. Garza

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Cuevitas is a colonia (see COLONIAS) off Farm Road 886 one mile north of the Rio Grande in extreme southwestern Hidalgo County. A settlement called Las Cuevas (Spanish for "the Caves"), dating to the Mexican Republic, was north of the site of present Cuevitas. It was the site of an encounter between Mexican armed rebels and Confederate soldiers that resulted in the death of three teamsters and the theft of the entire wagon train they were driving. The community of Las Cuevas continued to exist into the 1940s. But by 1976 it had been replaced by the colonia, which had forty-eight dwellings and a population of 242. By 1986 it had forty-two dwellings and a population estimated at 189. By 2000 the population was thirty-seven. It received its water from the La Joya Water District.

Colonias in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of South Texas: A Summary Report (Policy Research Project Report No. 18, Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs, University of Texas at Austin, 1977). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, The Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1954).
Categories:
  • Peoples
  • Mexican Americans
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Alicia A. Garza, “Cuevitas, TX (Hidalgo County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cuevitas-tx-hidalgo-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:


Place
Cuevitas
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1333792
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hidalgo County
Associated Names

Las Cuevas

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 26.26284880°
  • Longitude: -98.57807780°
Population Counts
People Year
37 2000
40 2010
50 2019