Curtis, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Curtis is at the junction of State Highway 63 and Farm Road 777, eighty miles north of Beaumont in central Jasper County. It was known as Byerly's Gin until the mid-1940s, when the Beech Grove post office was moved to the site and renamed after the son of postmaster Adam Byerly. The Jasper-Newton Electric Cooperative maintained a suboffice at Curtis by 1948, when the community's population was estimated to be 150. In 1986 Curtis had several residences, a church, a store, and a small helicopter plant.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Curtis, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/curtis-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Curtis
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379622
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jasper County
Associated Names

Byerly's Gin

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.92131050°
  • Longitude: -94.06463350°
Population Counts
People Year
150 2009