Curtright, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: December 1, 1994


Curtright was on the Sulphur River fifteen miles northwest of Linden in northern Cass County. The site was settled in the late 1860s and was first called White Sulphur Springs when the post office was established there in 1875. In 1884 it had a population of seventy-five and three churches, as well as a district school, a gristmill, a gin, and a store. In 1887 the name of the town was changed to Curtright, probably in honor of the Curtright family who lived there. Its post office was closed in 1890, and by 1936 Curtright no longer existed as a named community.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Curtright, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/curtright-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

December 1, 1994

Place
Curtright
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cass County
Associated Names

Munz

White Sulphur Springs