Cusseta, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


Cusseta is on the fringes of the Cusseta Mountains 11½ miles northwest of Linden in northwestern Cass County. The community was first settled in the early 1850s and was named for Cusseta, Alabama, the hometown of John Robin Heard, an early settler. A post office was established there in 1856, and the town was probably a supply point for plantation owners who lived in the area. By 1884 Cusseta reported two gins, a gristmill, a school, and a population of 100. By 1896 its population had fallen to fifty. In 1914 the population of the community was 100, but by 1933 it had fallen to sixty, with two rated businesses. In 1990 Cusseta reported thirty residents and no rated businesses. The population remained the same in 2000.

Cass County Cemeteries: Texas Records (Atlanta, Texas: Cass County Genealogical Society, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Cusseta, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/cusseta-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

Place
Cusseta
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378195
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cass County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.16234840°
  • Longitude: -94.45742020°
Population Counts
People Year
30 2009