Custer City, TX


By: Brian Hart

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: December 1, 1994


Custer City, on Ranch Road 2896 some ten miles northeast of Gainesville in northeastern Cooke County, was established in 1876 by Jim Jones, who built a cotton gin and a flour mill there. The settlement was originally called Centennial City because it was founded during the nation's centennial; it was later renamed to honor Gen. George Armstrong Custer. Its post office operated under the name Custer City from 1877 until 1902. The community grew relatively rapidly and by 1882 had a population of 300 and a cotton gin and flour mill, as well as a school, sawmill, blacksmith shop, store, and church. It declined almost as quickly as it had developed, and in 1892 had only twenty-five residents, two mills, a blacksmith, and a general store. In 1978 the community still had a church and scattered dwellings. The church was still shown on the 1986 county highway map.

A. Morton Smith, The First 100 Years in Cooke County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1955).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Brian Hart, “Custer City, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/custer-city-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
December 1, 1994

Place
Custer City
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379623
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cooke County
Associated Names

Centennial City

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.68288470°
  • Longitude: -97.05000940°