Ephraim M. Daggett, merchant, legislator, and early promoter of Fort Worth, was born in Upper Canada on June 3, 1810. The family moved to Indiana in 1820 and in 1830 settled in Chicago, where in 1833 Daggett became an Indian trader. In April 1840 the Daggetts moved to Shelby County, Texas, where they participated as Regulators in the Regulator-Moderator War. At the beginning of the Mexican War Daggett joined Col. George T. Wood's regiment as a second lieutenant, but he was soon promoted to captain and attached to Col. John C. (Jack) Hays's rangers.
At the close of the war Daggett returned to Shelby County, which he represented in the state legislatures of 1851 and 1853. He became interested in West Texas, however, after a trip there in 1849, and in 1854 he settled in Tarrant County. He opened a store in Fort Worth and worked for Fort Worth to replace Birdville as county seat. When the Texas and Pacific Railway planned its line through Fort Worth, Daggett donated ninety-six acres for a depot and tracks. After the arrival of the railroad Daggett devoted most of his time to the promotion of Fort Worth. In 1878 he ran unsuccessfully for Congress on the Greenback ticket. He was twice married. He and his first wife, the former Pheniba Strauss, had one son. His second wife was the former Caroline Norris Adams. Daggett died in Fort Worth on April 19, 1883.