Dallas, Cleburne and Rio Grande Railway


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: December 1, 1994


The Dallas, Cleburne and Rio Grande Railway Company was chartered on November 23, 1876, as the Dallas and Cleburne Railroad. The D&C was unable to secure financing and reorganized on July 31, 1879, as the Dallas, Cleburne and Rio Grande. The company planned to build from Dallas to Brownwood, about 150 miles. The initial capital was $250,000, and the business office was located at Dallas. Members of the first board of directors included Alfred Davis, W. J. Keller, S. J. Adams, A. F. Hardie, W. R. Wheelock, Alexander Sanger, F. M. Cockrell, W. C. Howard, and J. T. Elliot, all from Dallas. The Dallas and Cleburne Railroad had been chartered on November 23, 1876, to build a narrow-gauge line between Dallas and Cleburne, but the capital could not be raised and the road was reorganized as the Dallas, Cleburne, and Rio Grande. In 1879 the company built fifty-three miles of narrow-gauge track from Dallas to Cleburne. The company ran a freight and passenger train over the tracks to collect a promised bonus, but service was then abandoned. The right-of-way passed to the Chicago, Texas and Mexican Central Railway Company in 1880.

Places:
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • Dallas
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Dallas, Cleburne and Rio Grande Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dallas-cleburne-and-rio-grande-railway.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
December 1, 1994

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: