Dallas Journal

By: Sam Acheson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: June 20, 2019


The Dallas Journal, a six-day afternoon newspaper, was established on April 1, 1914, by Alfred H. Belo and Company, publishers of the Dallas Morning News, with Tom Finty, Jr., as editor, Harry Clay Withers as city editor, and Hilton R. Greer as chief editorial writer. Its strong editorial page was later edited by Lynn W. Landrum. Both in news coverage and editorial positions, this spritely journalistic enterprise was concerned mainly with local and state affairs, although it was an early advocate of a league of nations to promote world peace. It was sold on July 1, 1938, to Karl Hoblitzelle and Alfred O. Andersson of Dallas, who consolidated it with the Dallas Dispatch under the name of Dispatch-Journal. The name reverted to Dallas Dispatch when the paper was sold on December 1, 1939, to James M. West of Houston, whose heirs discontinued its publication in 1942.

WPA Historical Records Survey Program, Texas Newspapers (Houston: San Jacinto Museum of History Association, 1941).

Categories:

  • Journalism
  • Newspapers

Places:

  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • Dallas
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Sam Acheson, “Dallas Journal,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 24, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/dallas-journal.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
June 20, 2019

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects:

Loading