Daniel, TX


By: Eliza H. Bishop

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 1, 1995


Daniel, a community east of Crockett in central Houston County, was apparently never more than a small collection of buildings. In 1880 Samuel M. Thompson established the Daniel School, which later merged with the Bellview School. A post office was established there in August 1887 and was discontinued in September 1906. Farming and ranching interests provided the livelihood for most residents. In 1936 and 1940 the community had fifty residents and two businesses. The Daniel community reported the same in 1948, the last year that statistics were available for it.

Armistead Albert Aldrich, The History of Houston County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1943). Houston County Historical Commission, History of Houston County, Texas, 1687–1979 (Tulsa, Oklahoma: Heritage, 1979).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Eliza H. Bishop, “Daniel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/daniel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
August 1, 1995

Place
Daniel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Houston County
Associated Names

Oak Hill

Vilas