Darco, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: October 21, 2020


Darco is on State Highway 43 some nine miles southwest of Marshall in south central Harrison County. In the mid-1930s the Darco mines employed some forty laborers to mine and ship lignite to the Darco Corporation of Marshall. There the lignite was used in the manufacture of "Darco," which was used in refining processes as a decolorizer and purifier. In 1937–38 the Darco district schools served some 100 White and seventy-six Black pupils. In 1948 the Darco community had the mining operation, one other business, a school, and scattered dwellings. Its population was reported as ninety-five in 1964. In 1990 strip mining was still under way in the area, and Darco's population was eighty-five.

Jerome McCown, Scraps of the Early History of Marshall and Harrison County (MS, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin).

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Darco, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/darco-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
October 21, 2020

Place
Darco
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379636
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Harrison County
Associated Names

Cave Springs

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.40904250°
  • Longitude: -94.43575500°
Population Counts
People Year
10 2009